Is macaroni and cheese one of your favorite foods? You might have had to give it up since switching to a keto diet. If you miss the taste of this classic cheesy dish, try tasty Keto Mac and Cheese.
What you need for Keto Mac and Cheese
If you want to make Keto Mac and Cheese that you can enjoy for lunch or dinner, be sure to have the following ingredients:
- Cauliflower. Grab a head of cauliflower and cut it into florets before using it to prepare this dish.
- Heavy Cream. The heavy cream is keto-friendly and brings a creamy texture to the dish.
- Cream Cheese. When you want to have the cheesiest macaroni and cheese, use cream cheese! It melts perfectly over the cauliflower.
- Garlic Powder. Bring flavor to the dish with garlic powder.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese. Do not forget to add your sharp cheddar cheese, which makes the dish cheesier and tastier.
You will also need salt, dried parsley, ground mustard, and black pepper to prepare the macaroni and cheese. Use almond flour, parmesan cheese, unsalted butter, parsley, and salt to create the perfect crunchy topping for your Keto Mac and Cheese.
Making Keto Mac and Cheese is much easier than you might think. Start by heating your oven to 375F while greasing a casserole dish and setting it off to the side.
In the meantime, boil water in a saucepan, place your florets inside the saucepan and cook for several minutes until your cauliflower becomes tender. Remove the excess water and place your cauliflower on a plate or in a bowl on the side.
Add heavy cream to the saucepan, wait for it to boil, and then place your cream cheese into the saucepan.
Wait until the cheese melts to lower the flame and add your cheddar cheese, melting the cheeses together.
Place the cheesy cauliflower into a casserole dish and add more cheese on top.
The crumb topping adds a crunchy texture and a buttery flavor to this baked mac and cheese that really takes it to the next level.
Make the topping is as easy as combining almond flour (panko breadcrumbs if it’s just low-carb), parmesan cheese, butter, parsley, and a pinch of salt.
Pour the topping on top of the cheese, place your dish in the oven, and bake for up to 20 minutes.
- 1 head Cauliflower (around 3 cups), cut into florets
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- 2 tbsp shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp dried parsley
- Salt, a pinch
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Grease a 9-inch casserole dish with cooking spray and keep it ready.
- In a saucepan; boil some water with salt. Add the cauliflower florets and cook for 5 minutes until the cauliflower turns tender. Drain the water and keep the cauliflower aside.
- To the same saucepan add the heavy cream and once the cream starts boiling add the cream cheese. Cook until the cheese is melted.
- Reduce the flame low and add 1 cup of cheddar cheese to the saucepan and allow the cheese to melt completely. And then add in the spices; garlic powder, parsley, ground mustard, ground pepper, and salt.
- To the prepared cheese sauce add the cooked cauliflower and coat well and transfer it to the prepared casserole dish.
- Add a layer of remaining cheddar cheese on top of the cauliflower.
- In a small bowl, combine almond flour, parmesan cheese, melted butter, parsley, and salt. Add this crunchy topping over the cheddar cheese layer.
- Bake until the cheese has completely melted for 18-20 minutes.
- Serve the keto mac and cheese while it is still warm.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 518kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 46g | Saturated Fat: 27g | Cholesterol: 146mg | Sodium: 747mg | Potassium: 553mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1570IU | Vitamin C: 70mg | Calcium: 431mg | Iron: 1mg